Friday, September 21, 2007

Spinner



Some recent records of note:

Liars - Liars - [Mute]

I'm not entirely convinced that Liars, one of my favorite bands, have written a cohesive, fully-realized record with this, their fourth release, but that particular truth may not matter, given that the new songs are more about mood and tone, as opposed to ideas. Having said that, it is best that would-be listeners not overlook Liars for what it is: a document of a daring, risk-taking music prepared by a band interested not in pleasing its audience, but in circumventing tired norms.

The tracks to which my ear is especially drawn include: "Leather Prowler"; "Sailing to Byzantium"; "Clear Island"; and "Protection," a song that can best be described as haunting (a falsetto has never sounded so right), and which is probably the best album-closer that I've heard in the last five years.

I will take your Polaroid / You will show me how to drink...

M.I.A. - Kala - [XL]

It has a good beat and you can dance to it.


2 comments:

GMC said...

you are so high fidelity... when are you going to make some money writing music reviews? "Freelance music critic"

GMC said...

oh, i wish i could make money writing record reviews. how hot would that be?

(i wrote about music for my college newspaper a couple of times. that was fun.)