Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Righteous Ruminations

The following may point to just how naive I am, but I find it wrong that Nissan, in all its corporate wisdom, has licensed a song performed by The Clash, a cover of the roots reggae standard "Pressure Drop," for use in one of its commercials. Given the nature of the products the company sells, including the SUV prominently featured in its latest advertisement, wouldn't it have made more sense for the carmaker to use, say, "Rock the Casbah" or "Bankrobber," instead?

Oh, the irony, the bitter, bitter irony.

*

"The center is not the center." - Derrida

*

I love quoting dead French philosophers because, in all frankness, the practice makes me feel closer to common folk.

*

My Daddy was a bankrobber,
but he never hurt nobody.
He just loved to live that way,
and he loved to steal your money.
So we came to jazz it up,
we never loved a shovel.
Break your back to earn your pay,
and don't forget to grovel...


*

The Grand Marquis Coterie "Song of the Week!" honors go to Teenage Fanclub for "Speed of Light." Yeah!

*

One of the more curious headlines on the Internet: "Dating Advice: 'Help, I'm Falling For a Priest.'" Uh, is this supposed to be news?

*

It must be pretty obvious to those who know me, but I am getting old. As in, I can see at least two gray hairs on my head, and that shit is pissing me off old. But if only that were the last sign proving that the ravages of age are upon me! You see, if I sit down for more than fifteen minutes, I end up having a dull pain in the left side of my hip. When I stand up to walk around, I feel as though someone had just place a two-ton slab across my body. Such is the terror that has befallen me, but I shall perservere through all attacks against my youth!

*

We had chicken for dinner tonight. What did you have?

6 comments:

GMC said...

Annie's Mac and Soy Cheese. And a spinach salad.

Do you keep your cell phone on that side of your body? One of my students has a growth or bone spur thing on his hip and he always wears his cell phone on that hip. Not that it's necessarily related, but you never know... I'm sure it's fine but you should get it checked out and go to PT, to stretch and strengthen the muscles around it at least. We should go to the gym and lift weights sometime...

or just rock the cash bar,
L

GMC said...

Wow, that dinner sounds absolutely delicious.

Yes, I do keep my cellphone on the left side of my body, in my left pocket. What about cancer of the...uh, nevermind.

I don't have time to hit the batting cages, much less the gym. :/

Doin' the Monster Mash (with a busted hip),

d

GMC said...

try removing the cell phone from your person or switch it to your right side. see if that helps...
don't want to get cancer of the penis now do you?

Unknown said...

yes, yes, i should try switching the phone over the other side of me body.

i was thinking more or less of nut cancer--not penis cancer!

thanks for making my day!

GMC said...

nut cancer is not a laughing matter.

I just made the raddest Halloween mix...

p.s. I will be serving Reese's peanut butter cups on a silver platter.

GMC said...

Dude, I would never make light of the nut cancer. That shit is for *serious.*

*

Reese's peanut butter cups = RAD