Saturday, January 05, 2008

Why I love/hate New York.

So it's about 4:20 in the morning and I'm fully immersed in R.E.M sleep. I am slowly jarred out of my dreams (and my memory of my dreams) by some very close-sounding music and cackling. I'm confused. Are the Swedes next door throwing a raging party? Is someone blasting their TV? It gets louder. It's coming from outside, 3 stories down. But this is not the usual local teenagers yelling at midnight. I'm pissed. I stumble out of bed to the window and look down. Directly below my bedroom window is a scene out of my dreams or a Fellini movie. There are about 5 couples, dressed in dark outfits, dancing on the sidewalk, dancing some kind of strange ethnic ballroom dance, with their giant van blasting the craziest instrumental music I've ever heard, some kind of traditional Greek or Hebrew party music. Are you kidding me? What kind of music is this? The song is repetitive and strangely hypnotic. And too loud. This cannot go on. And just as I ponder shouting out of the window like an old italian widow (but realize that would be futile as they could never hear me), the music fades. And just like that, the couples rush back into their car like a chinese fire drill and speed off into the dawn.

This was not a dream.

Are these the party roosters who christen the sidewalks of those who are getting old?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss New York! Seattle closes at midnight and we have no party roosters!

Anonymous said...

I don't know who they are, but perhaps the music is from Brooklyn's own Gogol Bordello:

http://www.gogolbordello.com/

GMC said...

indeed, it could have been... gypsy punks. dancing the tarantella on my street!