Thursday, May 24, 2007

Fast Fashionable


It's great to go through your record/CD collection and rediscover those old favorites that sound good years, if not decades, after first hearing them. For me, Depeche Mode's Violator is one of those records--vaguely detached without being cold (those damn synths!), but full of drive and raw energy (without resorting to macho bravado). And while the lyrics leave something to be desired (Dave Gahan is no Bob Dylan), there is nothing wrong with the frankness and simplicity of the following words: Words like violence / break the silence / come crashing in / into my little world / painful to me / pierce right through me / can't you understand / oh my little girl?

And speaking of music, the Album of the Week is Mirrored by Battles (see cover art, above), which is epic, sprawling, instrumental post-rock for the twenty-second century.

http://www.amazon.com/Mirrored-Battles/dp/B000OLHGBQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0001001-5034422?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180063931&sr=8-1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

rat bastards. you must intimidate them so that they dont think their own words will suffice. no, it's just pure laziness and stupidity, made worse by that whole information age thing leading to the downfall of sincere communication. cheating is like an epidemic. it's good that you caught it early so it can be treated with an F. whatever you do don't take it personally. don't.
Niiice. The Violator Album...classic. used to do dances to it in junior high. Damn, that was 17 years ago!...
--your own personal jesus

p.s. I am in Boulder, so far fake and clean describe this suburban sprawl. kinda like a hippie disney world. but the rockies are pretty freaking cool. i am in the hotel "business center" post-dip in the hot tub. my boyfriend is currently at a bachelor party where (he claims) he did not watch the lesbian strip show. i believe him. really. i do. and i am happy to say i fit into my dress (yay!) but i forgot to bring my camera (stupid!) to document it.

GMC said...

I don't take it personally (at least not too much), but it still bothers me.

Have fun in Boulder, and be sure to stay away from those neo-hippies!