Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Let the Rhythm Hit'em


Shopping in the Chinese mega-market on Broadway is one of the more, shall we say, interesting experiences in Elmhurst. I was there earlier buying some unsweetened soy milk (I take care of my body, you know--ha!), but decided to walk around to see if any other products were worth buying. Oh my, you bet there were! Among the usual products one would expect to see in an Asian market (dried noodles, quail eggs), I came across some decidedly more adventurous offerings: spicy bamboo shoots, black chicken (I've never seen something so strange in my life), and much to my surprise, live frogs (on sale at $4.49 per pound). I had the urge to pick one of them up, but decided against it. I might return later this week to give them names; the frog at the top of the heap looked like a "Harry."

Anyhow, I did not make any particularly brave choices, and stuck to my soy milk. But, along with that bottle of soy milk, I bought a package of vegetable spring rolls, the label of which reads like so:

No need to defrost. After the oil turns hot, fry until the bread turns golden brown. It taste good.

It taste good, indeed.

*

I can't believe that I've been walking around without knowing of the existence of what doctors call a "didelphic uterus." How is it possible to be this uninformed?

*

Eric B & Rakim's "Don't Sweat the Technique" sounds as fresh and alive as when it was first released in 1992. The track is, without question, a classic of hip-hop: it is sample-heavy, and loaded with Rakim's smooth vocal delivery. (One wonders how this usually rhythmic genre could have shifted, in the span of about fifteen years, from being filled with beats to one that is nearly minimalist [refer to Southern hip-hop for a bit of what I mean] in its construction.)

And speaking of music, the GMC Single of the Week is Interpol's "The Heinrich Maneuver." The track is classic Interpol; those fans who are looking for experimentation and change are advised to look elsewhere. However, the song (from the forthcoming Our Love to Admire, the band's first for Capitol) has a lot going for it, given that it has an incredibly propulsive beat and lyrics that actually make sense ("today my heart swings," for example, as opposed to "you wear those shoes like a dove").

*

Like I used to say, at the end of my radio show, until next time, be safe...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should really write music reviews. you're a good reviewer/ critic.

Anonymous said...

I went to the housewares store today on 5th ave in Bklyn where I bought a kitchen towel. The label actually reads:
"For water & dirt
Superstrong water sucking brute
force get rid of slops washing towel"

I kid you not...

Anonymous said...

You clearly had the better shopping experience--I mean, the sheer force of those words is incredible!

Anonymous said...

As for the music review, thanks.

That reminds me: I was commissioned to write a book review. I wonder if it has been accepted for publication...