Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Footnotes on the Body

1. a spike of ice formed when water dripping or falling from another object freezes.

2. Furniture and photos are divorced from the attic. Does the movement of dust mean they are dead?

3. One thing the great poet confessed before biting into her doughnut: a good poem writes itself as if it doesn't care--never let on that within this finite space, your whole being is heavy with a need to emote infinitely. (Jenny Boully)

4. I am wet from waiting for a bus.

5. Thus, when the bizarrely costumed criminal known as _____________ appeared upon the scene later that same day, wielding a unique weapon capable of instantly ________ moisture in the air, _________ presumed he was actually _________, who had stolen __________ invention.

6. A man and his son

7. Recall the dream. The turtle does not like to be on his back
because that way he cannot carry.

8. The cries next door are both quieter and louder than before.
Somehow they made a chute too narrow for my garbage. Hoist.

9. Why should I kill myself worrying when I’ll end up just as dead? (Antonio Ricci)

10. Beluga whales craft long slow waves. The strain that follows the moan.

11. Set in post-World War II Rome, “The Bicycle Thief” tells a simple story well, relying for its impact on gritty realism and emotional verity. (Culture Vulture)

12. The man was caught lying in an alley by a citizen.

13. My icicle got stolen. It is vital for my job. Ladri. Ladri.

14. I. Spy with my little eye...

15. The chair and the bench are missing their stuffing. The holster, upholster.

16. The height of a sail, signals echo from ship to ship.

17. Marigolds! The marigolds were particularly lovely that year.

18. No need to reply to this mast of messages.

19. The yellowing of this photo. Sometimes saying the word lilac suggests a woman in white.

20. This plot synopsis is empty. Add a synopsis.

3 comments:

GMC said...

You've been reading The Essay, I see.

Also, #4 and #16.

GMC said...

And by The Essay, I mean The Body: An Essay.

GMC said...

Yes, thank you! :)