Monday, May 12, 2008

No! It must be finely manicured!

This is the quote of the day by Mr. Rivera, in reference to the type of moustache I hypothetically scribble onto his book cover image of I, the everyman character in Stephen Dixon's book of the same name, who peeks out from beneath a cut-out capital I. But, as he informs us, I is not I; I is the person in which he is writing the stories. He prefers the handlebar to the bush. I fake this gesture on purpose, as the I who seeks to rile him as he reads said stories. If I wanted to deface Danny's "I", that is Dixon's "I", I would draw a Tom Selleck-style moustache onto I's clean white upper lip. Danny puts my papers into tidy piles. His I does not like stray paper or hairs. His eyes are black pools flanked by palm leaves. His lashes jut out like a Jersey shore jug handle. They brush against frames and cheeks. Unflitting as flames, his I's are felt ink.

Notes:

I, it should be noted, am everywoman.

A jug handle is, contrary to popular belief, not a reference to the act of boob-holding, but a type of ramp or slip road that changes the way traffic turns left (when driving on the right). Instead of a standard left turn made from the left lane, left-turning traffic uses a ramp on the right side of the road. Signage can appear to be haphazard and confusing to out-of-state drivers.

1 comment:

GMC said...

Well, maybe not finely manicured, but precisely manicured.