Thursday, June 12, 2008

Strictly for the Birds

As I was eating my lunch earlier today in a park just outside the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, I noticed a small bird just beyond my feet. I briefly considered throwing it a small piece of bread off the PB & J sandwich that LM had so kindly prepared for me, but thought against it. A few minutes later, I felt wings brushing up against my left hand, a sensation strange not only for its rarity, but also for its acute softness, quickly granted. I then looked down, again, at my feet, and saw that this same bird, a lark perhaps, had a sliver of bread in its beak. It then occurred to me that the avian interloper had just stolen a portion of a meal, so delicious and fresh, from its rightful owner. The bird, which much surely belong to a hitherto unknown species of animal prone to urban thievery, then flew into the waiting chasm of Trinity Place, where Alexander Hamilton must have called out to it from his grave.

*

The new EP by Brooklyn- and Chicago-based These Are Powers, Tarot Taro, suffers from ideas that are far too broad and loose, as though its creators were unable to agree on what chords to keep, on how to set their dirty impulses to tape (or Reason or whatever recording software the kids are using nowadays). But at least you can't say that their songs are devoid of spirit and drive; "Chipping Ice," for example, arguably the collection's best song, starts with an double-time snare drum pattern and just doesn't let up.

These Are Powers' abrasive energy, which can sound rather menacing, counts for plenty nowadays, whatwith positively dull bands like Low and Sigur Ros taking up precious space. The band, which features Pat Noecker (formerly of Liars) on bass, has previously released one full-length record, Terrific Seasons, which may or may not be terrific.

[D | R]

5 comments:

GMC said...

Ah yes, those birds are native to New York. They are a rare species known as peck-pocketers. They are raised to find food by getting in yo face like a can o mace and gettin their due. They are on the 2008 WatchList for PB&J heists. Their call sounds like "What? What you gonna to do about it, pretty boy? Fugettaboutit. Fuc*in fuc*in fu*k." They can also detect those samiches made with love.

Anonymous said...

I despise birds who get in your face I can only barely tolerate birds who are a several yards away!!! They are evil with there spastic crazy movements I hate them! but I really like when you write about them! Myella

polar bear is dying said...

1. well done that bird!
2. i like stories about birds. more please.
3. i'm listening now.

polar bear is dying said...

but i like that they sound so full of ideas. i'm all for music with too many ideas. and gaps of coughing.

GMC said...

I hear lots of cough-gaps in indie-rock. It kind of bugs me, actually.

Hi, Andy!