Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Transmigration

A few weeks ago, while waiting in LM's car, I turned on the radio, something I hadn't done in years. While running through signals of stations playing poor, mid-90's metal, alternative rock, and other sounds that only seem to exist on the far-left end of the dial, I heard a song done in the vallenato style, a type of folk music native to Colombia. I was instantly riveted, as though my brain was receiving a line through the aural conduit of my ancestral homeland. I've since discovered that the song, called "Eres" (Spanish for "you are"), is performed by Alejandro Fernandez, a Mexican pop singer. That last bit may not appear all that interesting, but I find it fascinating that there can be, in this world of light-speed communication, so many cross-cultural exchanges, so many opportunities for creativity to reinterpreted and reshaped.

The accompanying video, which has an overnight security guard going on a rampage of joy in an otherwise empty shopping mall, is also fun.

*

Perhaps it goes without saying, but human stupidity seems to know no bounds:

"Homosexuality...is the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism." - Sally Kern, Oklahoma State Representative, as quoted in Equality, the magazine of Human Rights Campaign.

*

Good night, and good luck...

[D | R]

1 comment:

GMC said...

DR's creativity is a revelation. I like the intimacy and directness of this piece, an exploration of Stupid Beauty, of humanity's abilities to reach absurd and creative depths, and, as I have previously mentioned, I am a big fan of your conduits. And of commas.

Hilariously beautiful video. Reminds me so much of a recent journey through Macy's, left to our own devices to search for men's suits, ignored by ignorant salesmen.

Also, "Waiting in LM's Car." Could be a Poetic Sequence. :)