Monday, November 20, 2006

Poem for a Birthday

(for a certain member of the coterie who just turned thirty)

Stack your plate with elegies,
fill your cup with hopium,
this is a night for ultimate poetry.

A coterie round-tables. A giant baby
suckles a thumb, fussy lines
on an etch-a-sketch, lift, erase.

Here is a cracked-out 60s stewardess
manqué. (I am ridiculous.) There are no
white Russians in Mexico.

On banquet table in latticed rectangle, a doctor
examines a kidney stone. A professor unbuttons
over-sized bread knives and sangria sweetens
in glass, slanted. (You’re not vanilla if you add
a little chocolate.) Eat-a! You’re too skinny!

Two Puerto Ricans on a river in Troy,
one man reconfigures faces.

A party favor etches cryptic. Hey tambourine man,
be Tom Petty with a Dylan delivery. Right ass cheeks
rhapsody in purple. (It takes two to make funky cold
wild thing.)

Barbie mouths Nirvana, knee-highed marquis
slams Metallica. Raise your collars, bad medicine
killed Janis Joplin and Koreans hate rap.

Couples with 80s hair meet in cafes, walk
in soft-focus fields. Your 30s are a great decade
up to 35.
A train runs on another train’s track.



5 comments:

GMC said...

brilliant! literary karoke fun! I love the fussy lines on an etch-a-sketch and the right ass cheek rhapsody...hey i'm no cracked-out stewardess manqué! Who is the infamous author of this?
p.s. Did I sing metallica? damn i dont even know any metallica songs...
Lift, erase.
Happy birthday to me! I discussed Marquez' Balthazar's Marvelous Afternoon" on my birthday. Then went to dinner at the usual fav italian restaurant (aldila) and got free wine and cake!

GMC said...

the infamous would be me, marquis de lo!

(silly, your dress reminded me of your halloween costume; as for the manque, i haven't been able to figure out this word i learned ages ago that has something to do with removal, emphasized absence. anywho...)

and yes, you were wailing away with metallica, funny how alcohol channels the headbanger in us all.

I'm glad you had a lovely b-day!

GMC said...

silly silly me. speaking of right ass cheek, I have a big tambourine bruise.
p.s. manque is a great word!

Anonymous said...

There are no
white Russians in Mexico.


That's actually not true, you know. Trotsky was murdered with an ice pick in Mexico City.

I'm just sayin'.

GMC said...

Well played, my friend, well played.

-r